Marriage License Information
To Purchase a Marriage License:
- Marriage licenses may be purchased from the Sevier County Clerk’s office at $60.00 payable by cash, money order, debit/credit card, or in-county resident check. This service is available Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. There is no waiting period or blood work required. Both parties intending to marry must be 18 and present together at the time of license purchase. An original or certified copy of a birth certificate and photo ID (passport or Gov. issued) on each party must be presented to the Clerk. A marriage license is valid for use within 60 days of its purchase.
- The couple will be responsible for making arrangements for the wedding ceremony to be performed. An Arkansas license should only be used in the State of Arkansas. The ceremony must be performed by an official who has recorded their credentials in the State of Arkansas before performing the ceremony. If unsure they should probably record the credentials in the County where they are performing the ceremony prior to conducting the ceremony. The cost for recording credentials is $5.
After the Marriage Ceremony:
- Within sixty 60 days of the purchase of a marriage license, a couple should return the license used or unused to the Sevier County Clerk. Failure to return the license will result in the strict enforcement of a $100.00 bond. Upon the return of the marriage license to the Clerk, it will be recorded for permanent record. This completes the marriage process and the original license will be given to the married couple to keep.
- Marriages in which one or both parties to be married are under 18 are possible if specific criteria are met. However, these marriages are subject to a 5-day waiting period. Please contact the Sevier County Clerk’s office at (870)642-2852 opt 0 for more information on the law and qualifications for entering an underage marriage.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I get a copy of my marriage license? You can stop by the Clerk’s office anytime during regular business hours to pick up a copy or certified copy of your marriage license. You can also send a written request for a copy of the marriage license to Sevier County Clerk, 115 N 3rd Street Room 102, De Queen Arkansas 71832. You may also request one here. When requesting a copy of your marriage license by mail, please include the names of the parties married, the date of marriage, a contact phone number, a return pre-posted envelope, and the funds covering your request. A photocopy of a marriage license is $.50 in person and $.50 plus postage by mail. A certified copy of a marriage license is $5.00 plus postage if mailed.
- Does the Clerk’s office accept checks, debit cards, or credit cards? The Sevier County Clerk’s office accepts checks drawn on a bank in Sevier County. The Clerk’s office has the capability to accept debit & credit cards.